Members of the International Affairs Committee (IAC) met with Officials from the Trade Department, namely Mr. Charles Morin – Chief Negotiator, Mr. Ashik Hassan – DG Trade, Mr. Ricky Barbe – Senior Trade Officer, Ms. Audrina Dine – Senior Trade Officer. In attendance from the National Assembly were: Hon. Ahmed Afif – Deputy Speaker, Hon. Regina Esparon, Hon. Gervaie Henrie and Hon. Bernard Georges.
The Trade Department, as part of its engagement with the IAC, initiated this meeting to discuss the following issues which are expected to be submitted to the National Assembly for its consideration in the near future:
- Seychelles accession to the Madrid Protocol
- The Accession of Seychelles to the African Regional Intellectual Property (ARIPO) through the Harare Protocol
- Seychelles to ratify the HS Convention
- Seychelles to ratify the IEPA Amendment of Protocol 1
- Status of the:
- AFCFTA negotiations
- UK ESA EPA implementation
- Deepening of the IEPA
The Honourable Members were briefed and updated on the mentioned topics by the Trade Officers. The Members were also informed on the costs and benefits that Seychelles will gain upon joining these organizations and clarification was provided to their various queries.
The IAC Chairman, Hon. Ferrari thanked the Trade Team for its continuous engagement with the Committee and the National Assembly.